Personal Blogs

As myself and Rhian started off the project working on different titles, we both have initial development blogs. Both our blogs may not be relevant anymore but are still conceptualising the initial ideation of Kaboodle.

Jade’s Blog: https://jadesthirdyear.wordpress.com/

Rhians Blog: https://allupinyourtoes.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Vault

vault thumbnail.png

A bouncing head, music making machine

 

The game ideation behind Vault came from creating an illustration based game, with very few interactions but to keep it fun in the majority.
This started with some simple mockups, jumping off pistons and creating this reaction.

SPR_B63_C1018050112450-1

The initial game idea for Vault

The first idea insisted on selecting certain heads. This would contain a variety of heads ranging from big to small, and their size would determine their weight.
The weight came into play with the pistons themselves. Each piston would be linked to another, determined by colours, or lines on the design. When the weighted faces hit the pistons, they would go up or down, depending on the face position.

After deciding these aspects, I went and started to doodle some silly faces, as I knew it would have that illustration vibe I like – squiggly lines and no context.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I dwindled the number of faces down to 7, as this would help minimise the input number, and these were, in my opinion, the best-looking faces!

I coloured and corrected them, to make them look like this:
coloured faces.jpg

The next step was to draw and colour the piston assets.
In my head, they needed to combine the quirkiness the faces had. As I doodled, I began inputting these little squiggles and shapes inside of the pistons themselves.

vault face 2

A variety of piston doodles from my sketchbook

The process was repeated with the pistons, like the faces. Selecting the appropriate ones and colouring.
I wanted to make a non-working mock-up of the illustration at the top. This would combine in my head what it could potentially look like once all added together in unity.

mock up screen 1.jpg

I tried to de-clutter the screen by limiting the generate button and only using 4 pistons.

The colours reflect on something from a 90’s kids show. This could bring nostalgia or just general taste for children’s preferences. In my mind: “If I liked it then, they’ll like it now” kinda vibe.

James helped me create the base game- colliders and code which helped me along the way.
In the first build, we simply made the pistons react to each other but also got rid of the generation system/ button.
This was replaced by simply clicking/ tapping above the piston itself, which would drop 1 face onto that piston. The pro’s to this where you would randomly generate the faces, that could make it a little more exciting. This also enhances the UX design, less clicking and dragging, making the interaction itself more acknowledgeable.

Animated GIF

 

I added some little hit animations to create some motion. This
also reflects the cartoonish style.

This inspired the idea to have some ascending musical notes on each piston. When the head hits the piston, it would play the specific note. Bounce them in order and you’ll have a little tune. Endless fun, and gives the game a little bit more creativity.

 

 

It’s time to add in the colours!

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 6.34.41 pm

A screenshot of the build on18/04

We implemented a random somersault animation. This makes the little faces spin randomly in the air. Sometimes the colliders on the faces hit mid-air when somersaulting creating an upward motion. Although this may be a bug, I enjoy the way they fly off screen and then randomly appear. This will be something that may change along with playtests and opinions.

Animated GIF

Sprout

sprout

A swipe to grow simulator. Each swipe generates a fuzzy cactus with accompanying sounds.

The game ideation for sprout started when combining the ideas of previous research on both projects. We were especially inspired by the Vector Park game Sandcastles. Where players can build sandcastles on a screen until the tide comes in and washes them all away so you can start again.

As part of our work into interesting interactions, we wanted to ensure that we as designers were having fun with our interaction too. As you can see from the majority of Jade’s sketchbooks, drawing plants is something that she really enjoyed doing. This made it really easy to decide that doing a game that allowed her to do just that would be really fun. This game also allowed Rhian to get to know a whole new piece of software as she learned how to animate using Adobe After Effects and keyframe animation.

Rhian had previously built a game prototype that involved piling up sand at the bottom of the screen, this was easily adapted to build the first prototype for Sprout. It was a simple build where you could click on the screen and the plant would grow from the bottom of the screen. We quickly adapted this to work with the swiping motion and used the growing animations to give the effect of growth.

We chose to use cacti as the plant in this game because we could make lots of little modules which we could combine in lots of ways to create a variety of different cacti really easily and animate at the same time.

Game Overview

kaboodle final title
Kaboodle is a collection of multi-experience designed to make little interactions a big deal. The games are designed to focus in on fun and enjoyment rather than fulfilling objectives, we aim to give players the opportunity to simply let go of outside worries and responsibility and just do something for the sake of pure enjoyment. Sometimes the smallest pleasures are the best ones and that is what we want to give to our audience.

 

Genre: Mini-games       Audience: 7-13 Years       Overriding theme: Interactivity

5 games fulfilling interactions